HOME PREPAREDNESS PLANNING
Disasters don’t plan ahead. You can!
What will you do if a disaster strikes today? Will you be ready?
The following instructional video, produced by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), explains the key steps to emergency preparedness, including:
- Being informed
- Making a plan
- Building a kit
- Getting involved
Additional Resources & Information:
- Disaster Supply Kit Checklist
- Home Fire Safety Inspection Checklist
- Home Inventory Checklist (NAIC)
- Make a GO BAG Checklist
- Personal Support Network
- Pets In Disasters Brochure
- Telephone Tips During Emergencies Brochure
Flood Protection Resources
Valley Water provides a comprehensive Flood Protection Resource page with valuable community information resources, including flood insurance, flood zones, sandbags locations, emergency alerts and more.
Find Your Home’s RISK Factors
Risk Factor is a free online tool created by the nonprofit First Street Foundation that makes it easy to understand risks from a changing environment.
Earthquake Protection Resources
California Earthquake Authority
Protect your home from earthquake damage
Great California ShakeOut
Bay Area Earthquake Hazards
U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
The USGS monitors and reports on earthquakes, assess earthquake impacts and hazards, and conducts targeted research on the causes and effects of earthquakes.
Earthquake Hazards Program – Putting Down the Roots in Earthquake Country Handbook
Home Insurance Resources
California Department of Insurance (CDI) is the consumer protection agency for the nation’s largest insurance marketplace and safeguards all of the state’s consumers by fairly regulating the insurance industry. Under the Commissioner’s direction, the Department uses its authority to protect Californians from insurance rates that are excessive, inadequate, or unfairly discriminatory, oversee insurer solvency to pay claims, set standards for agents and broker licensing, perform market conduct reviews of insurance companies, resolve consumer complaints, and investigate and prosecute insurance fraud.
United Policyholders (UP) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) whose mission is to be a trustworthy and useful information resource and a respected voice for consumers of all types of insurance in all 50 states. Guide you on buying insurance and navigating claims. UP fights for your rights.
FEMA Emergency Preparedness Resources:
- 12 Ways to Prepare Postcard (FEMA)
- Emergency Supply List (FEMA)
- Family Communication Plan (FEMA)
- Prepare for Emergencies Now: Information to Get Ready (FEMA)
- Prepare for Emergencies Now: Information for Pet Owners (FEMA)
Individuals with Disabilities Emergency Preparedness Resources:
- Access and Functional Needs Preparedness Resources (CADRE)
- Get Informed and Make a Plan (FEMA)
- Home Safety Tip Sheet for People with Disabilities (NFPA)
- Prepared and Plan Ahead (Red Cross)
- Silicon Valley Independent Living Center – A disability justice organization