Santa Clara County Fire Department (SCCFD) offers American Heart Association (AHA) Hands Only CPR/AED training (no certification, 90 minutes) and Heartsaver CPR/AED training (2-year certification, 4 hours). SCCFD does not offer First Aid training or Healthcare Provider/BLS training for EMTs, RNs or other professional rescuers.
CPR/AED AHA On Demand Blended Learning Course
(2-year CPR/AED Certification Card)
This is an AHA Heartsaver® CPR/AED blended learning course (online and in-person) and includes:
• Adult, Child & Infant CPR
• How to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
• How to assist someone who is choking
• 2-year Heartsaver® CPR/AED AHA course completion card with CPR mask and gloves kit
Blended Learning Course has two parts:
1. Online videos and guided interactive exercises (2 to 3 hours to complete) that may be completed in one session or broken up into several sessions.
2. In-person skills practice and testing session (will take approximately 30 minutes) at a drop-in training site in Los Gatos, CA following social distancing requirements.
REGISTER: To register and for more information, visit Eventbrite
Additional Santa Clara County Fire Department sponsored safety classes: http://sccfd.eventbrite.com
Hands Only ONLINE CPR/AED/Choking Class
Hands Only CPR/AED/Choking Class is currently offered ONLINE. Participants will learn how to perform high-quality chest compressions on an adult and child, utilize an AED, and aid an adult or child who is choking.
Most often, citizens will need to perform CPR on a family member, friend, or co-worker. Learn how to perform proper compressions and how to use an AED in the precious moments before first responders arrive. This class follows the American Heart Association (AHA) CPR/AED curriculum.
Participants will learn:
- How to perform chest compressions
- Learn what an automatic external defibrillator (AED) is and how to use it
- How to aid an adult or child who is choking
To participate in this class, please ensure you have the following ready:
- Access to the Zoom Application via a computer, laptop, or iPad
- Ability to turn your camera ON so the AHA Instructor can view you performing proper chest compressions
- Access to a pillow or large stuffed animal to practice chest compressions
Participants will NOT receive a two-year CPR/AED certification card.
To receive a CPR certification card, register for the On Demand Blended Learning AHA Heartsaver CPR/AED certification class listed above.
Heartsaver CPR/AED Class
(2-year CPR/AED Certification Card)
Heartsaver CPR/AED is designed for persons who are required to obtain a course certification card documenting completion of a CPR course, except for those requiring healthcare provider/BLS. In this skills-based class, you will be trained in the new "Science of CPR" and "Relief of Foreign Body Airway Obstruction." You will demonstrate the proper technique and sequence of CPR for adult, child, and infant. You will also receive instruction and hands-on training for using an AED (Automated External Defibrillator).
At the completion of this class, you will obtain a 2-year Heartsaver CPR/AED certification card.
Note: This class is not for a BLS Healthcare Provider or HeartCode certification card or a Heartsaver Pediatric certification card.
REGISTER: (NOTE: In-person classes are currently on hold due to COVID-19)
To register for a Heartsaver CPR/AED class, please contact one of the following locations listed below:
- Campbell Community Center - 408.866.2104 (Search for 'CPR')
- Cupertino Parks & Recreation Center - 408.777.3120
- Los Gatos Saratoga (LGS) Recreation Center- 408.354.8700 (Click on 'Find A Program and Register Online')
Who can enroll in the course?
Classes are for ages 13 years and older without any prerequisite.
If the student is under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must check the student into class and sign a waiver at the beginning of class.
Please contact one of the locations listed above for dates and times of upcoming CPR classes.
Campbell (the exact location of the class will be provided once registered).
6:00PM - 10:00PM on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Disclaimer: The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
Follow Santa Clara County Fire Department on Eventbrite to stay informed about upcoming safety classes and community events: www.sccfd.eventbrite.com
Additional Providers for CPR/AED & First Aid Training:
No matter how rapid the arrival of professional emergency responders, bystanders will always be first on the scene. A person who is bleeding can die from blood loss within five minutes, therefore it is important to quickly stop the blood loss. Those nearest to someone with life threatening injuries are best positioned to provide first care.
You may be able to save a life by taking these simple actions immediately after the trauma.