State law prohibits a person from placing home-generated sharps in their trash or recycling containers. Home-generated sharps are defined as disposable hypodermic needles, syringes, lancets, and other medical devices used for self-injection or blood test. To safely dispose of your used home-generated sharps, place them in an approved biohazard container and contact your physician, clinic administrator, or pharmacist and ask if they have a take-back program in place.
Properly disposing of your used sharps will help protect your family,
community, the public and our environment.
ALL SHARPS MUST BE DISPOSED OF IN APPROVED SHARPS CONTAINERS.
PLEASE DO NOT THROW SHARPS IN THE TRASH.
1. Obtain a sharps container. Order up to 3 free sharps containers by visiting https://med-project.org/locations/santa-clara/mail-back/
2. Place home-generated sharps in the container and dispose sealed container by the following methods:
• Take to a Sharps Drop-Off Location - FREE drop-off for residents.
• Use a Mail-Back Service. For more information, visit: https://med-project.org/locations/santa-clara/convenient-locations/
3. Do not place sharps or container in garbage. Keep out of reach of children.
For more information on disposal, visit Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW).
If you purchase sharps on-line, request a pre-addressed, prepaid mail-back box for your used sharps.