Campbell Fire Station
Unlike most stations, Campbell was designed with a pair of slides to allow firefighters to quickly get from the living quarters on the second floor to the equipment bays. They are considered safer to use than the more traditional fire poles. Campbell station is responsible for the department's spare PPE (Personal Protective Equipment): turnouts, boots, helmets, etc. The station also has an extractor (a special clothes washer) for cleaning turnouts.
See the apparatus page for an explanation of the vehicle renumbering.
Engine 81 (formerly Engine 11) is a 2001 KME with a 1250gpm (4740 l/m) pump.
Truck 181 (formerly Reserve truck 111) is a 1993 Spartan/HiTech/LTI quint with 1500gpm (5685 l/m) pump, 400 gallon (1515 l) tank, 75' (23M) rear-mount aerial ladder, and Class A foam system. It previously served as truck 5. Shown here in its new livery, 29 July 2003.
right photo: Official Photograph Santa Clara County
Engine 20 is a 1949 Van Pelt/Kenworth with a 1250gpm (4740 l/m) pump. Active until 1977, it is now used only in parades. Shown in the second photograph in front of Shannon Station. This was the first new apparatus purchased by the then Central Fire District. When placed in service during 1950, it was the only 1250gpm pumper between San Francisco and Los Angeles. Being an open cab rig with no roof, the windshield was built with wipers on both the outside and the inside of the glass.
Additional interior shots of the station can be seen on the Public Education Fire Station Tours page.
The former engine 11 is a 1989 KME/15750 with a 1500gpm (5685 l/m) pump. It now serves as reserve engine 110.
Former reserve Truck 111 was a 1982 FMC/Van Pelt Duplex D-300 with a 1500gpm (5685 l/m) Hale Q150 two-stage centrifugal pump. It had a 55' (16.5m) LTI Model 2-S water tower with boom mounted ladder, a 405 HP 8V 92TAC Detroit Diesel engine with Allison HT740-D transmission, a 400 gallon (1515 l) tank and carried 22 gallons (83 l) of foam. For hoses, it carried 200' (60 m) each of 1-1/2" (38mm) and 2-1/2" (65mm) hose, 1200' (360 m) of 3" (75mm) hose, and 200' (60 m) of 3/4" (20mm) high pressure hose on a reel. It also had an integral Onan 6000 watt 110-220V diesel generator. As described in the "Ring Down", the unions internal newsletter, when it arrived,
This truck was retired in 2002.
For historic photos of Campbell's Fire Department, before it joined County, click here.