Santa Clara County Fire Department

Cupertino

Cupertino Fire Station
20215 Stevens Creek Blvd
Cupertino, CA 95014

Built: 1948 and 1999. The original station was located where the lawn and driveway entrance on the right side of the photo are, faced the same way and was approximately the same size as the new tan wall.

station 1
photo: Captain (now BC) Kendall Pearson

The new station is significantly larger than the old one, with room for at least six apparatus in three drive-through bays. The old station also had three bays, but could only hold three apparatus, which had to be backed in. Not only did this cause traffic delays on what is a very busy main artery, but the door clearance around Truck 1 was extremely tight. The main doors of the new station open up onto Vista Drive instead of directly onto Stevens Creek Boulevard.

The new station also houses a small historical fire museum with local historical exhibits, open to the public.

Cupertino Station is responsible for coordinating the OES program for the department.


View Larger Map

Cupertino is first due for several high-rise (8 story) office buildings, so Truck 1 is stationed here, along with Engine 1 and Patrol 1, which is used to deal with incidents occuring in the rolling hillsides which surround the valley.

See the apparatus page for an explanation of the vehicle renumbering.

Truck 1 front view Truck 1 rear view

Truck 71 (formerly Truck 1) is a Ferrara 2003 quint. It has a 100' (30M) platform, a 1500gpm (5685 l/m) pump, a 300 gallon (1135 l) tank and foam. It is the first rig in the department to have all LED lighting, greatly simplifying maintenance.

e1

Engine 71 (formerly Engine 1) is a 2007 KME with a 1250gpm (4730 l/m) pump and a 600 gallon (2270 l) tank. Photo 8 Sep 2010.

p1

Engine 371 (formerly Engine 301) is a 2009 Placer/International Type 3 4x4 with 500gpm (1895 l/m) pump and 500 gallon (1895 l) tank. Photo 8 Sep 2010.

Cupertino's first engine Cupertino's first engine

Two views of Cupertino's first fire engine, on display in the Cupertino Station historical museum. This engine is on loan from the Cupertino Historical Society & Museum. This engine was reconstructed by Charles Baer in 1919. It was pulled by a Packard Twin 6 automobile, and has solid rubber tires on wooden wheels. The tank contained a mixture of water and soda, to which a bottle of acid was added at the scene a fire. The acid reacted with the soda, generating carbon dioxide, which pressurized the tank and forced the approximately 50 gallons (190 l) of water through the hose attached at the back. The engine was stored at Mr. Baer's blacksmith shop next to the Cupertino Store at the Cupertino crossroads. Volunteers responded from the store. If a burning home was saved, the owner paid $20; if the structure burned to the ground, it was a local news item.

rm_alum_rock
from the collection of Ray Maher

old Cupertino Station old Cupertino Station

Official Photograph Santa Clara County

Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

station 1

The original Cupertino Station served from 1947 through 2000. The first photo was taken in 1952, the second in or after 1965. The third photo was taken sometime in the 1980s. The person standing closest to the engine is Captain (now retired Deputy Chief) Al Morgan. The third photo was taken in 1999 just prior to construction of the new station. This building was demolished in January 2001. Before around 1965, the station had a flat apparatus bay roofline, like many of the other early stations. The roof had to be modified when the left-most bay door was enlarged to fit the 1965 Truck 1.

tanker_3_1940s intl47tkr3

Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Wayne Sorenson Collection

Two versions of the same shot of Tanker 3, thought to be a 1947 International KB-11 451 COE tractor with a 500gpm (1895 l/m) pump and a 2000 (7570 l) gallon tank. According to research, however, it appears to be a military surplus International 5 Ton Truck Tractor, 4x2, M426. It responded from the Cupertino Station. Both versions of the photo are included because one is of higher quality while the other isn't as severely cropped.

rm_engine5_cambrian

Photos from the collection of Ray Maher

Engine 5 at Cupertino Station. A 1948 White/Van Pelt 500gpm (1890 l/m) pumper, it was the first engine assigned to Cupertino fire station. Photo 1952.

1949 Kenworth/Van Pelt e4 1949 Kenworth/Van Pelt e4

1949 Kenworth/Van Pelt e20

1st photo: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

2nd & 3rd photos: Wayne Sorenson Collection

This 1949 Kenworth/Van Pelt ran as Engine 4. It is shown at the Cupertino Station. It had a 1250gpm (4730 l) pump, a 280 gallon (1060 l) tank and a Hall Scott motor. The left photo shows the rig before compartments were added. It later ran as Engine 20 (as shown in the color photo), and as Reserve Engine 101. In the top left hand photo, behind where the hood of this truck is now stands three 8 story office buildings, a large office park, and condominiums. Photo dates unknown.

Tanker 6 tanker with Bruce
both from the collection of Jim Ackley

Two photos of FF Bruce Gaman and Tanker 6. Left photo dated October 1950; right photo January 1951.

old Tanker 6 old Tanker 6

old Tanker 6 old Tanker 6

first three photos from collection of Dick Ravizza

fourth photo Official Photograph Santa Clara County

Tanker 6 was at Cupertino until 1957. First three photos May 1958. Fourth photo taken before 1960.

old Engine 1
Official Photograph Santa Clara County

Engine 1, a 1956 International/Van Pelt, was assigned to the Cupertino Station. It had a 750 gpm (2840 l/m) pump and a 500 gallon (1890 l) tank.

Cupertino Station
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Engine 1, Tanker 6. Date unknown, 1956-1961.

Engine 1 Engine 1

Engine 1 Engine 1

Engine 1 Engine 1

all photos from the collection of Dick Ravizza

Six shots of Engine 1 in front of Cupertino Station. Engine 1 was a 1961 International Harvester/Van Pelt, with a 750gpm (2840 l/m) pump and a 1000 gallon (3785 l) tank. 3rd and 5th photos show Captain Dick Ravizza; also in the 5th photo are "Bob" and "Alex". All photos March 1962.

Cupertino view east Cupertino view east
Left photo from the collection of Dick Ravizza

Then and Now: The view from Cupertino Station looking east on Stevens Creek Blvd. Left: March 1962; Right: 28 Feb 2009.

Sheriff's car
from the collection of Dick Ravizza

A Santa Clara County Sheriff visits the station, March 1962.

tanker pumper 3 tanker pumper 3

tanker pumper 3

color: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

B&W photo from the collection of Dick Ravizza

Tanker-pumper 3. Color photos June 1963; B&W photo March 1962.

Squad 1 Cupertino Station

Cupertino Station 1962 Squad

Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

bottom right: Ed Del Prete

Squad 1 was a 1962 GMC/Van Pelt, serving out of Cupertino. It had a 190 gallon (720 l) tank and a 250gpm (945 l/m) pump. In the third, December 1968 photo, Squad 1 is shown after being refitted with dual rear wheels in an effort to improve it's ability to handle the weight it carried. This rig and it's two sisters, Squad 12 at Alum Rock and Squad 11 at Cambrian, were notoriously overloaded. Note the original roof line on the station in the second photo.

Squad 1 in 2010 Squad 1 in 2010
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

bottom right: Ed Del Prete

Squad 1 was one of the two Squads sold to the San Jose Flea Market around 1970, when two slightly larger International Squads were purchased to replace them. It served on the "Flea Market Fire Department" for 40 years. The department traded former Patrol 13 to the Flea Market to get the Squad back, after the purchase of the five new Type 3 engines made Patrol 13 surplus in 2009. Squad 1 now resides at Campbell Station, awaiting restoration, including returning the original County Fire livery and changing the rear balloon tires back to dual wheels. Photos 18 Aug 2010.

tanker_3_crash tanker_3_crash

tanker_3_crash tanker_3_crash

tanker_3_crash

photo series: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Tanker-pumper 3 was destroyed in a fatal accident at Stevens Creek Blvd at De Anza Blvd, on 31 October 1963. No firefighters were killed, which, considering the fact that it wound up upside down, is quite fortunate.

Also of interest is the photo with the brown Buick in the foreground, showing the general scenery. This intersection is now surrounded by multi-story buildings and shopping malls, and the hills are almost not visible from this same viewpoint.

tanker crash tanker crash
both from the collection of Jim Ackley

Two additional photos of the Tanker-Pumper 3 crash, scanned from San Jose Mercury News newspaper articles. A 69-year-old driver, headed southbound on De Anza Blvd, apparently didn't see or hear the tanker as it responded to an alarm at 8:15am. The driver may have collided with the tanker, causing it to overturn and land on top of three other cars. Firefighters Bob Olsen (driving) and Richard Baughman sustained minor injuries. None of the drivers of the three cars were hurt.

intl66t1_1 intl66t1_2
Wayne Sorenson Collection

Truck 1 Cupertino Station

Cupertino Station Cupertino Station

all: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Shots of Truck 1, a 1965 International/Van Pelt with an 85' (26M) Hi-Ranger snorkel. Fourth shot November 1976, fifth and sixth shots and June 1967.

Cupertino Station Cupertino Station
both: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Two shots of Engine 4 at Cupertino Station, first in 1963 with the station's original flat roofline, and later, December 1968 with it's new roof.

Cupertino Station
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Car 5 shown at Cupertino Station, December 1968.

Engine 1
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Engine 1 was a 1969 International/Van Pelt with a 750 gallon (2840 l) tank and 800gpm (3030 l/m) pump. It served at Cupertino.

Cupertino Station Cupertino Station
both: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Cupertino equipment at a drafting drill, pumping from a pond in May 1976, and lined up at Cupertino station in November 1976. Central Fire rigs carried the magnetic Smoke Detector campaign signs for several years.

American LaFrance Truck 1 Truck 1

Cupertino Station Cupertino Station

all: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Truck 1 was a 1977 American LaFrance Water Chief, with a 100' (30M) aerial, 1500gpm (5680 l/m) pump and a 200 gallon (760 l) tank. It later served as Reserve Truck 102, and was finally sent to Mexico around 1998. First and second photos dates unknown. Third and fourth photos October 1981.

Cupertino apparatus
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Truck 1, a 1977 American LaFrance, Engine 1, a 1976 American LaFrance, and Engine 101, an International/Van Pelt at Cupertino Station. Truck 1 had a 100' (30M) aerial and a 1500gpm (5680 l/m) pump; Engine 1 had a 1000 gallon 3785 l) tank and a 1500gpm (5680 l/m) pump. Date unknown.

Engine 1 American LaFrance Engine 1
both: Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Two shots of Engine 1, an American LaFrance Century. Dates unknown.

e101.jpg
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Reserve Engine 101 was a 1975 IH/Van Pelt, with a 750gpm (2840 l/m) pump. It was a remount of a body from Los Gatos' 1959 Ford. Photo circa 1982.

Cupertino Station
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

Truck 1 crew puts their new rig through it's paces, October 1981.

t1 t1 ladder view
right photo: FF/E Jeff Brown

Former Truck 1 is a 1989 KME/15760 quint with a 1500gpm (5685 l/m) pump, 200 gallon (760 l) tank, and a 90' (27M) rear-mount platform. It was sold in 2003, to Fortuna, California.

Cupertino Station
photo: Wayne Sorenson

Truck 1 at the new Cupertino Station, 1 March 2002.

Old Truck 1 at Fortuna
photo: Clark Mauel

Old Truck 1 in it's new livery, serving the Fortuna Fire Department. Photo July 2010.

e1

Former Engine 1 was a 1992 Hi-Tech Spartan with a 1500gpm (5685 l/m) pump.

p1

Former Patrol 1 was a 1991 International Navistar 4x4/Westmark with 500gpm (1895 l/m) rear-mounted pump and 500 gallon (1895 l) tank.

navbar_home navbar_stations navbar_next navbar_home