Santa Clara County Fire Department

Historic Photographs - Apparatus
1950s

The photos on this page are of apparatus that are no longer owned by the department. This page contains apparatus which were manufactured in the 1950s.

These photos are reduced-size or cropped thumbnails. Click any photo with a border to see the full-sized image.

utility 2
from the collection of Jim Ackley

Utility 2 was a 1953 Willys Jeep, ex-military. It had 4-wheel drive with lock-out hubs, 12 volt ignition, and 24-volt start. When sold as surplus in 1972, it was described as having front bucket seats only, directional signal lights, and no top or spare. The minimum bid allowed when being sold was $750. This photo was taken from the advertisement in the February 1972 "Relief Valve", the department's internal newsletter, announcing the availability of surplus equipment for sale to employees. Photo 1972.

M-37 Squad 7
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

A military surplus 1954 Dodge M-37 3/4 ton Powerwagon, Reserve Squad 7. Date unknown.

pickup
from the collection of Jim Ackley

Unidentified pickup or patrol. Photo dated 4 July 1951.

old Engine 11
Official Photograph Santa Clara County

Engine 11 was a 1954 GMC/ Van Pelt, 1000 gpm pump, 500 gallon tank.

old battalion 1
Official Photograph Santa Clara County

This Ford F250 was used by the Battalion Chief of Battalion 1.

old battalion 2
Official Photograph Santa Clara County

This 1952 Ford F-2 was used by the Battalion Chief of Battalion 2.

old battalion 3
Official Photograph Santa Clara County

This Ford F250 was used by the Battalion Chief of Battalion 3.

old battalion 4
Official Photograph Santa Clara County

This 1953 Ford F250 pickup was used by the Battalion Chief of Battalion 4.

pickup 4 1951

pickup 4 crash pickup 4 crash

all from the collection of Jim Ackley

Three shots of pickup 4, a Ford. The top photo was taken in 1951. The bottom two photos show it after it was crashed by B/C Jim Ackley into a telephone pole in front of E. Meyer's residence, on Tully Rd at King Rd. The truck was totalled. B/C Ackley was responding to a fire when his truck tangled with another pickup that refused to give way, and ran into the pole. He sustained minor injuries. Bottom photos 20 November 1956.

tanker at restaurant fire
from the collection of Jim Ackley

One of County Fire's tankers in use at the Maryann Gardens restaurant fire at 901 Lincoln Av, as firefighters led by B/C Hugh Turner chop into the roof. From a newspaper clipping dated 25 November 1956.

tankers
from the collection of Jim Ackley

A rare photo showing two of County Fire's tankers together, here at the ruins of five buildings of the Pacific Railway Signal Co., Los Gatos, destroyed by fire on 25 September 1953. The fire started in a vat containing paraffin wax, used in preparation of red signal flares for the railroads. From a San Jose News clipping.

old apparatus
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

1956 Ford station wagon, used by Assistant Chief Luhring. Date unknown.

old apparatus
Santa Clara County Fire Dept Archive

1956 Pontiac sedan, used by Chief Lingua. Date unknown.

navbar_home navbar_prev navbar_history navbar_next navbar_home