The new Cupertino station, rebuilt in 1999, is significantly larger than the old one. It has room for at least six apparatus, where the old station could only hold three apparatus. The main doors of the new station open up onto Vista Drive instead of directly onto Stevens Creek Boulevard. The new station also houses a small historical fire museum with local historical exhibits, open to the public. The Cupertino Station is responsible for coordinating the OES (Office of Emergency Services) program for the department.
Cupertino's First Fire Engine
Two views of Cupertino's first fire engine, on display in the Cupertino Station historical museum. This engine is on a loan from the Cupertino Historical Society & Museum. This engine was reconstructed by Charles Baer in 1919. It was pulled by a Packard Twin 6 automobile and has solid rubber tires on wooden wheels. The tank contained a mixture of water and soda, to which a bottle of acid was added at the scene a fire. The acid reacted with the soda, generating carbon dioxide, which pressurized the tank and forced the approximately 50 gallons of water through the hose attached at the back. The engine was stored at Mr. Baer's blacksmith shop next to the Cupertino Store at the Cupertino crossroads. Volunteers responded from the store. If a burning home was saved, the owner paid $20; if the structure burned to the ground, it was a local news item.
The original Cupertino Station served from 1947 through 2000. This building was demolished in January 2001. Before around 1965, the station had a flat apparatus bay roofline, like many of the other early stations. The roof had to be modified when the left-most bay door was enlarged to fit the 1965 Truck 1.
Staffing: 8 Personnel
Apparatus: Engine 71
Size: 12,775 sq. ft.
3-bay, triple deep, drive through